Re: [webcomponents] Custom Elements Spec

From: Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com>
Date: Tue, 08 May 2012 10:35:10 +0200
To: "Anne van Kesteren" <annevk@annevk.nl>
Cc: "Dimitri Glazkov" <dglazkov@chromium.org>, "Ian Hickson" <ian@hixie.ch>, "Rafael Weinstein" <rafaelw@google.com>, public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>
On Tue, 08 May 2012 10:11:03 +0200, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>

> On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 9:48 AM, Charles McCathieNevile
> <chaals@opera.com> wrote:
>> There will certainly be people who don't care about accessibility and
>> don't do anything at all (just as there are for simple things like alt
>> attributes), and others who care but get it wrong, but aligning with the
>> common model for those who care and are trying to get it right strikes
>> me as a big benefit.
> I don't think that's really the argument.

I do. It's about paving cowpaths or inventing new wheels.

> The argument is about whether the long tail is going to be accessible
> (even if only a little bit) or not at all.

Sure. (To be pedantic, I would suggest it is more specifically about the
most efficient way to achieve the highest level of overall accessibility -
and frankly I think even that is a simplistic explanation because even in
the long tail some content matters more than other content).

> That is, do we get
> <select is=restricted-color-picker><option value=Red><option
> value=Blue></select>
> styled as a restricted color picker or
> <restricted-color-picker options="red blue"/>
> styled as a restricted color picker but with no fallback semantics
> whatsoever.

This is a false dichotomy. The common pattern for doing this today would
be to use aria. There are various other methods, too - what makes

<rcp opt="r,b">
   <option value="red">
   <option value="blue">

Is there any reason to believe that ARIA will not work when it is used?
Since I assume there isn't, Two competing mechanisms to do the same thing
introduces a complexity for people trying to learn the right way, and the
likelihood that they will mix syntax from each and get it wrong.

     je parle français -- hablo español -- jeg kan noen norsk