Re: [webcomponents] Custom Elements Spec

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2012 07:48:32 +0200
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>
Cc: Dimitri Glazkov <dglazkov@chromium.org>, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, Rafael Weinstein <rafaelw@google.com>, public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>
On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 6:17 AM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl> wrote:
> On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 5:48 AM, Dimitri Glazkov <dglazkov@chromium.org> wrote:
>> ... http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/Custom_Tags_Analysis#Accessibility ...
>>
>> If you look at the two alternatives, one (the "is" attribute) asks the
>> authors to make the right choice. The other asks the component
>> developers to make the right choice. In the former case, the pool of
>> people who need to do the right thing is several orders of magnitude
>> larger than the latter. From there, it takes pure statistics to figure
>> out which alternative is likely to get better results.
>
> Why would components be authored by a significantly smaller set of people?

For the same reason that jQuery plugins are authored by a
significantly smaller set of people than "jQuery users".

*Theoretically*, every jQuery user can write their own plugins - it's
really easy, and very useful.  In practice, almost everyone uses ones
written by someone else.  Part of the *point* of Components is to
reach exactly this model, and have a safe (from an author-usability
perspective) way to include someone else's HTML in your own, so we're
not all constantly reinventing the same markup patterns.

> And it's not exactly about "making the right choice". Component
> authors will have to do a significant amount work.

Again, the example of jQuery is instructive.  A lot of plugins do
*not* create accessible markup.  However, the most popular ones *do*,
and because of this, you end up with much more accessible markup
overall than if every user was inventing things themselves.

~TJ