Re: Offline Web Applications status

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2012 18:46:35 -0700
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Cc: Michael Nordman <michaeln@google.com>, lrbabe@gmail.com, public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>
On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 11:12 AM, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:
> An idea I was kicking around for this would be to simplify the three
> points above to instead have just a way to declare a JS file as being a
> local interceptor, and then have that JS file be automatically launched in
> a worker thread, and then every network request gets proxied through that
> worker in some well-defined manner. The worker could then either say "do
> whatever you would normally do for that URL", or "redirect to this URL and
> try again", or "here's the data for that URL".
>
> How does that sound?

So this is, more or less, running a local server in JS, right?  (One
that only the page can talk to, of course.)

If so, I definitely approve.  I think this is a great way to handle
offline webapps, so the front-end can be written to assume that
there's always *something* on the back-end that it can talk to.  This
invariant greatly simplifies the mental cost of writing an app, I
think.

~TJ