Re: [webcomponents] Template element parser changes => Proposal for adding DocumentFragment.innerHTML

On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 16:57:06 -0700, Rafael Weinstein <rafaelw@google.com>
wrote:
> There aren't any parser changes required. DocumentFragment.innerHTML
> can still provide the "fragment case" with a context element and
> procede normally. It's not obvious to me what bug to open against
> HTML.
>
> Anne, can we move forward with this?

I personally think it would be better if HTML kept defining all entry
points to the HTML parser. And at least conceptually this is a new
insertion mode I think contrary to what you suggest in
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2012AprJun/0334.html as
only insertion modes handle emitted tokens. And although I guess it does
not matter here for now, given that the tree builder can change the
behavior of the tokenizer decoupling them seems rather odd to me.

The "Any other * tagName" design also seems somewhat fragile to me. I
think those lists need to be explicit and coordinated. We should at least
put some checks in place to make sure we are not introducing more
overlapping element names in the future.

Also, I looked briefly at the WebKit patch (which does not appear to
address the hairy "Any other * tagName" issue), DOM4 is not responsible
for innerHTML. http://html5.org/specs/dom-parsing.html is and is written
by Ms2ger (in case the "move forward" in your question was about defining
this in DOM4).

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/