Re: BlobBuilder.append() should take ArrayBufferView in addition to ArrayBuffer

On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 3:45 AM, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc> wrote:

> We should not have readAsArryBufferView since there's a ton of
> different types of ArrayBufferViews. Instead we should just return an
> ArrayBuffer and let people construct ArrayBufferViews or DataViews
> into that as they see fit.

It would have made sense to return an Int8Array in all cases instead of an
ArrayBuffer: it's probably by far the most common actual data type,
treating buffers as char* by default isn't unusual, and it allows passing
the results of one API directly into another API.  Having API inputs and
outputs use two different types is pretty asymmetric.

(I say that in past tense; it's probably too late to fix this.  Also, I'd
rather live with that asymmetry than have every single ArrayBuffer entry
point have separate ArrayBuffer and ArrayBufferView overloads.)

--
Glenn Maynard