Re: [webcomponents] HTML Parsing and the <template> element

From: Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa@webkit.org>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 15:52:54 -0700
To: Ojan Vafai <ojan@chromium.org>
Cc: (wrong string) „ski <kornel@geekhood.net>, Dimitri Glazkov <dglazkov@chromium.org>, public-webapps@w3.org
On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 3:31 PM, Ojan Vafai <ojan@chromium.org> wrote:

> <script type=text/html> works for string-based templating. Special
> handling of </script> is not a big enough pain to justify adding a template
> element.

> String-based templating already works. We don't need new API for it.
> DOM-based templating and Web Components do need new API in order to work at
> all. There's no need, and little benefit, for the template element to try
> to meet both use-cases.

Strongly support these two points.

If we're writing a template using a custom template language with its own
syntax, etc..., it IS a script and I don't see why we would want a new
element for it. That use case is elegantly addressed by the script element,
which is supported by virtually all major browsers. I even think it's
actively harmful to introduce a new element to replace this use case
(text-based templates).

- Ryosuke