Re: [webcomponents] HTML Parsing and the <template> element

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 09:45:05 -0700
To: Clint Hill <clint.hill@gmail.com>
Cc: Erik Arvidsson <arv@chromium.org>, Brian Kardell <bkardell@gmail.com>, Rafael Weinstein <rafaelw@google.com>, Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa@webkit.org>, Yuval Sadan <sadan.yuval@gmail.com>, public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>
On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 9:12 AM, Clint Hill <clint.hill@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hmm. I have to say that I disagree that your example below shows a
> template within a template. That is IMO 1 template wherein there is
> iteration syntax.

The "iteration syntax" is basically an element - the example that Arv
gave even used element-like syntax, with open and close tags.  That
iteration element is inside of a template.

If iteration uses a different tagname than normal templating (say,
problem, you still have the problem of nesting iteration, which is
*also* a common ability for template systems.

Any way you slice it, common templating scenarios will create problems
if you don't hook it up to a proper parser at some point.  Might as
well do that early so you can immediately delve into it with DOM
methods and whatnot, rather than delaying it and keeping it as flat
text until the point of use.

~TJ