Re: [webcomponents] HTML Parsing and the <template> element

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 06:46, Brian Kardell <bkardell@gmail.com> wrote:
> I know of many, many templating systems and I have simply never (aside
> from MDV) seen it in exactly this light (that is templates actually
> embedded in others), regardless of whether those are for within the
> browser for generating HTML (or anything else) or on the server - or
> even for code generation.  It seems to me that there is a rich history
> of templating text, it's very useful and in every case I have seen you
> have "a template" and that template can contain references to other
> templates, not embed them...  Am I seeing this improperly?  This seems
> to be the case with freemarker, velocity, mustache, handlbars, even
> jsp, asp, php, etc - (there are really a lot of them, I'm just
> throwing out a bunch).  This kind of approach does not seem like it
> would be out of place in HTML or even XML - we think about a lot of
> things that way (in terms of references).  Are there some in
> particular that someone could point to that illustrate otherwise?

Most system do allow it. The syntax they use might not make it clear.

http://emberjs.com/#toc_displaying-a-list-of-items

<ul>
  {{#each people}}
    <li>Hello, {{name}}!</li>
  {{/each}}
</ul>

In here there is a template between the start each and end each.

--
erik