Custom Tags and Local Semantics

From: Dimitri Glazkov <dglazkov@chromium.org>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 11:55:21 -0700
To: public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>
Cc: "Eric A. Meyer" <eric@meyerweb.com>
Eric Meyer (cc'd) posted an intriguing article about custom tags and
local semantics:

http://meyerweb.com/eric/thoughts/2012/04/10/element-customization/

I must say, even though the current direction we take with Web
Components does not involve custom tags, I still find the current,
"is" attribute-based solution awkward. This keeps me wondering about
the tradeoffs of custom tags and local semantics. In terms of
elegance, nothing comes close to specifying an identify of a DOM
element than the localName of the corresponding tag in markup. I know
there are strong opinions around keeping local semantics out of the
tag names. While I respect the owners of these opinions, I also want
to build something _good_ with the Web Components effort.

Given that pretty much every time I explain how "is" attribute works
results in raised eyebrows and quizzical looks, I feel we need to
revisit the notion of using custom tags for custom elements in Web
Components.

Who would be interested in a discussion around this at the WebApps F2F
next week? I would like to keep this discussion isolated from other
Web Components-related topics, mostly to limit effects of the giant
rabbit hole that is debating language semantics.

:DG<