Re: [widgets] HTML5 dependency blocking Widget Interface Proposed Recommendation

From: Marcos Caceres <w3c@marcosc.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2012 16:49:33 +0100
To: Marcos Caceres <marcosscaceres@gmail.com>
Cc: Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com>, Arthur Barstow <art.barstow@nokia.com>, Philippe Le H├ęgaret <plh@w3.org>, Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>, WebApps WG <public-webapps@w3.org>

On Thursday, 19 April 2012 at 16:14, Marcos Caceres wrote:

> On Thursday, 19 April 2012 at 16:11, Glenn Adams wrote:
>
> > > in that case, please record an objection on my part
> >

> > just to be clear, I mean an objection to publishing as PR unless this is clarified; i believe this is an issue because the concept and use of origin is (1) very complex and (2) thus prone to misinterpretation; for example, it is not well recognized that HTML5 itself does not require a UA to send an Origin header in a URL request (see [3])
> Yes, but those are issue of RFC6454 and the HTML5 spec (as well as Web Storage). But what does this have to do with Widgets?

Glenn and I discussed this on IRC. Glenn suggested I add the following to the definition of a widget instance:

 "The origin of a widget instance is the origin of the Document object associated with the widget instance's browsing context."

I agree with Glenns recommendation, so I've go ahead and added that:

http://dev.w3.org/2006/waf/widgets-api/#widget-instance

--
Marcos Caceres
http://datadriven.com.au