Re: [widgets] HTML5 dependency blocking Widget Interface Proposed Recommendation

On Thursday, 19 April 2012 at 14:10, Arthur Barstow wrote:

> On 4/19/12 8:57 AM, ext Ian Jacobs wrote:
> > On 19 Apr 2012, at 7:48 AM, Arthur Barstow wrote:
> >
> > This is my expectation:
> > https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/chairs/2011JulSep/0092.html
>

> WebApps does all of its work in the Public. As such, would you or PLH
> please forward that email to a Public list (preferably public-webapps)?

It says we can freely distribute the proposal to the group, so here it is:

Dear Chairs,

Documentation of our current practices for [0] for normative references
states:

   "In general, documents do not advance to Recommendation with
    normative references to W3C specifications that are not yet
    Recommendations."

However, several Working Groups have expressed a desire to reference
the HTML5 specification [1] even as a draft. The current expectation [2]
is that the HTML5 specification will become a Recommendation in 2014.

To address the needs of these groups sooner than 2014, we propose the
following for normative references to HTML5 (and only to HTML5) from
specifications scheduled to become Recommendations before HTML5.

Please, provide feedback and comments on this proposal until 22
September 2011 . Unless there are objections, we plan to implement this
proposal shortly thereafter. Feel free to circulate this proposal to your
Working Groups.

Philippe Le Hégaret and Ian Jacobs

[0] http://www.w3.org/Guide/transitions
[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/
[2] http://www.w3.org/2011/02/htmlwg-pr.html

Proposal for Normative References While HTML5 is not a Recommendation

* A Working Group X may propose normative references from a Proposed
  Recommendation or Recommendation to a set of definitions or
  implementable features in the HTML5 specification [1].

* Working Group X must indicate the presence of these references in any
  Proposed [Edited] Recommendation or Recommendation transition request.

* The Director will evaluate these references and approve them when
satisfied that Working Group X has provided evidence that:

- The HTML Working Group has addressed all issues associated with the
  referenced HTML5 features or definitions, and that all issues have
  been resolved at least 60 days before the date of Working Group X's
  transition request.

- All referenced HTML5 features have been implemented.  Preferably,
  Working Group X should be able to demonstrate two interoperable
  implementations of each feature. If the Director believes that
  immediate Advisory Committee review is critical to the success of a
  technical report, the Director may accept normative references even
  without adequate HTML5 implementation experience.