Re: [webcomponents] HTML Parsing and the <template> element

From: James Graham <jgraham@opera.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 23:31:23 +0200 (CEST)
To: Dimitri Glazkov <dglazkov@chromium.org>
cc: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>, public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>, Adam Barth <w3c@adambarth.com>, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, Rafael Weinstein <rafaelw@google.com>, Erik Arvidsson <arv@google.com>, Yehuda Katz <wycats@gmail.com>
On Wed, 18 Apr 2012, Dimitri Glazkov wrote:

>> Wouldn't it make more sense to host the template contents as normal
>> descendants of the template element and to make templating APIs accept
>> either template elements or document fragments as template input?  Or
>> to make the template elements have a cloneAsFragment() method if the
>> template fragment is designed to be cloned as the first step anyway?
>>
>> When implementing this, making embedded content inert is probably the
>> most time-consuming part and just using a document fragment as a
>> wrapper isn't good enough anyway, since for example img elements load
>> their src even when not inserted into the DOM tree. Currently, Gecko
>> can make imbedded content inert on a per-document basis.  This
>> capability is used for documents returned by XHR, createDocument and
>> createHTMLDocument. It looks like the template proposal will involve
>> computing inertness from the ancestor chain (<template> ancestor or
>> DocumentFragment marked as inert as an ancestor).  It's unclear to me
>> what the performance impact will be.
>
> Right, ancestor-based inertness is exactly what we avoid with sticking
> the parsed contents into a document fragment from an "inert" document.
> Otherwise, things get hairy quick.

I am also pretty scared of tokenising stuff like it is markup but then
sticking it into a different document. It seems like very surprising
behaviour. Have you considered (and this may be a very bad idea) exposing
the markup inside the template as a text node, but exposing the
corresponding DOM as an IDL attribute on the HTMLTemplateElement (or
whatever it's called) interface?