Re: Should send() be able to take an ArrayBufferView?

On 4/11/12 5:04 PM, Charles Pritchard wrote:
> When/if we start using the "Binary Data" instead of re-purposing typed
> arrays.

Then we'll need to add more send() overloads, probably.  What those
overloads will be, exactly, depends on the final state of the Binary
Data spec.  I don't see the problem, honestly.

>> postMessage does arbitrary object graphs, which can include either
>> ArrayBuffers or ArrayBufferViews. If you try to postMessage a typed
>> array, the receiver will get a typed array, as expected.
>
> My understanding is/was that an ArrayBufferView will be copied whereas
> an ArrayBuffer will be neutered/transferred.

This understanding is incorrect, as stated.

The only things that are transferred are the ones listed in the
sequence<Transferable> argument.

If you don't list anything there,
http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/common-dom-interfaces.html#structured-clone
will be run on everything.  This will call into
http://www.khronos.org/registry/typedarray/specs/latest/#9.3 and then
http://www.khronos.org/registry/typedarray/specs/latest/#9.1 and copy
all the various ArrayBufferViews and ArrayBuffers.

You can't list an ArrayBufferView in the trasferable list.

You _can_ list an ArrayBufer in the transferable list; if that's the
case it will be neutered and transferred. If there are ArrayBufferViews
being cloned that reference this ArrayBuffer, the clones will reference
the transferred buffer.

> These practices are already established. You're exploring ways to make
> using them easier.

Passing typed arrays to send() can't possibly be "established" since
it's not exactly supported very well across browsers (and is disallowed
by the spec at the moment).

> Typed Arrays have matured.

So?  I'm not proposing changing anything about typed arrays.  I'm
proposing expanding the set of things that can be passed to send().

> They're available in all major implementations

They're not available in any shipping IE version, last I checked.

> I know they can be a pain in the ass, but they are functioning.

That has nothing to do with the arguments allowed for XHR.send().

-Boris