Re: informal survey - on spec philosophy

On Tue, 10 Apr 2012, Paul Libbrecht wrote:

> Anywhere you look, Date.parse is "left to browser interpretation" with
> the only available standard, ISO-8601, not even being fully implemented
> in the modern browsers. The very informal w3c note is implemented, while
> this standard is too big.
>
> Does HTML5 change this? I'd be glad to hear this.

Date is defined in the JavaScript spec, so HTML doesn't affect this
particular point.

The contemporary HTML standard tries to define everything that isn't a
rendering QoI or UI detail, though, to avoid this exact problem. (The
point Karl posted is a rendering QoI detail, and is therefore
intentionally left undefined. The alternative is that some implementations
would just not be compliant, either because they did a worse job than what
the spec required due to hardware limitations, or they did a better job
than the spec required. It is pointless to make something non-conforming
if the implementor can't help but be non-conforming, and it's pointless to
make something non-conforming that is _better_ than the spec. Hence why
rendering QoI details are left undefined.)