Re: Shared workers - use .source instead of .ports[0] ?

On Wed, 11 Apr 2012 07:56:48 +0200, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 10:44 PM, David Levin <levin@google.com> wrote:
>> What is the backwards compatibility story for websites already using
>> SharedWorkers with the interface that has been in the spec for over a
>> year
>> now?
>>
>> There are sites using them. For example, Google Docs uses them and
>> Google
>> Web Toolkit exposes them.

Either we get them updated to the new API or we keep ports[0] around for
compat. If we can't get rid of ports[0], I see less value in making the
change at all since some scripts will use .source and other will use
.ports[0], which seems pretty confusing.

Google Docs can hopefully be updated before implementations ship with
this, but GWT might be more problematic since there may be legacy apps
around with unknown update shedule...

> As far as I can see there are no backwards compat breaking changes
> proposed. Are there any particular parts you are worried about?

I proposed setting ports to null.

--
Simon Pieters
Opera Software