Re: informal survey - on spec philosophy

Le 10 avr. 2012 à 22:25, Karl Dubost a écrit :
> A recent example from Canvas specification.
> http://html5.org/tools/web-apps-tracker?from=7030&to=7031

>    +  algorithm to use when scaling an image when the <code
>    +  title="dom-context-2d-imageSmoothingEnabled">imageSmoothingEnabled</code>
>    +  attribute is set to true.</p>
>
> It all depends on what you mean by interoperability and the expectations of users. I'm pretty sure that graphics designers will have a very strong opinion about smoothing being exactly the same for all browsers.

I'm sure to be alone, but for the bitterness, here's another such story we had till two weeks ago:

The upgrade to iOS5 broke, for all iPad users, the search function on our website, www.curriki.org. It took us several weeks of debugging, not understanding the single message of debugging inside the console: "undefined is not an object" (no location).

At the end it turned out that the iOS5 upgrade had changed the way javascript parses Date.parse().
Suddenly, the result was undefined and the subsequent printf, given an undefined, sent that odd message.

Anywhere you look, Date.parse is "left to browser interpretation" with the only available standard, ISO-8601, not even being fully implemented in the modern browsers. The very informal w3c note is implemented, while this standard is too big.

Does HTML5 change this? I'd be glad to hear this.

Is there a way to flag things so that developers routinely protect against unpredictability?

paul