Re: Speech API Community Group

From: Jerry Carter <jerry@jerrycarter.org>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2012 14:45:45 -0400
Cc: Glen Shires <gshires@google.com>, "public-xg-htmlspeech@w3.org" <public-xg-htmlspeech@w3.org>, "public-webapps@w3.org" <public-webapps@w3.org>
To: "Young, Milan" <Milan.Young@nuance.com>

On Apr 3, 2012, at 11:48 AM, Young, Milan wrote:

> The proposal mentions that the specification of a network speech protocol is out of scope. This makes sense given that protocols are the domain of the IETF.
>
> But Id like to confirm that the use of network speech services are in scope for this CG.  Would you mind amending the proposal to make this explicit?

I don't see why any such declaration is necessary.  From the perspective of the application author or of the application user, it matters very little where the speech-to-text operation occurs so long as the result is delivered promptly.  There is no reason that local, network-based, or hybrid solutions would be unable to provide adequate performance.  I believe the current language in the proposal is appropriate.

-=- Jerry