Re: [webcomponents]: First draft of the Shadow DOM Specification

From: Edward O'Connor <eoconnor@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 16:49:30 -0800
To: public-webapps@w3.org
Hi Dimitri,

You wrote:

> In the joyous spirit of sharing, I present you with a first draft of
> the Shadow DOM Specification:
> http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/webcomponents/raw-file/tip/spec/shadow/index.html

Awesome. Thanks for writing this up! Obviously, I'll have to read this
more closely while hiding upstairs at my in-law's house next week. That
said, I wanted to quickly note something I noticed while skimming this
just now.

In your Event Retargeting Example[1], you have a pseudo="" attribute
which allows the author of the shadow DOM to specify the name of a
pseudo-element which will match that element. For example, in

the web author would be able to select the player's controls by writing

I'm worried that users may stomp all over the CSS WG's ability to mint
future pseudo-element names. I'd rather use a functional syntax to
distinguish between custom, user-defined pseudo-elements and
engine-supplied, CSS WG-blessed ones. Something like

could do the trick. The latter (or some other, non-shadow-DOM-specific
name) is potentially more exciting because there may be more use cases
for author-supplied pseudo-elements than just the shadow DOM. For
instance, I could imagine an extension to DOM Range which would allow a
user to name a range for selector matching.

Anyway, thanks for the writeup, and have a wonderful break!

1. http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/webcomponents/raw-file/tip/spec/shadow/index.html#event-retargeting-example