Web IDL sequence<T> and item() method

From: Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2011 11:51:48 -0700
To: Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>
Cc: WebApps WG <public-webapps@w3.org>
Hi Cameron,

Does the ECMAScript binding for the IDL sequence<T> type imply the
existence of an item() method as a element accessor, where an element is a
property whose property name is an array index? If so, then could describe
how it is implied?

The reason I ask is because I'm wondering about compatibility with earlier
DOM specs, e.g., NodeList, CSSRuleList, etc., where an explicit item()
method is defined, and which, in recent newer specifications based on Web
IDL, has been re-expressed in terms of sequence<T>. In my review of ECMA
262 3rd and 5th editions, I don't see an explicit mention of an item()
method on Array objects (or their prototype), which are the ECMAScript
binding for IDL sequence<T>.

If the answer is that no item() method is implied, then does the use of
sequence<T> in these newer specs entail dropping this method (with respect
to prior DOM specs)?

Regards,
Glenn