Re: [cors] JAX-RS and preflight

On 2011-12-01 21:20, Benson Margulies wrote:
> There's a problem with REST-ful services, as exemplified by the JAX-RS
> standard, and CORS as drafted.
>
> A JAX-RS server names a resource, in part, via the content-type of a
> request. A POST with content-type of application/json names a
> different resource (in as much as it selects a different method to
> call) that a POST with content-type text/plain.

That seems to be entirely JAX-RS problem. The *resource* is supposed to
be identified by the request-URI.

> The problem here is that a preflight OPTIONS is defined to *not* pass
> the content type unless it is simple. Thus, the service implementation
> can't reliably tell what resource is under discussion.

Even if OPTIONS would be sent with a Content-Type header field, that
field, by definition, would identify the internet media type of the
request body.

> As things are, a service would have to take a common posture for all
> preflights given the URL and Accept(-*) headers, and ignoring the
> content type.

Absolutely.

> Would you consider defining an Ac-Request-Content-Type header to pass
> a non-simple content type on a preflight?

Unless I'm missing something here you are definitively trying to do the
wrong thing.

Best regards, Julian