Re: Dropping XMLHttpRequest 1 (just do 2)?

On 11/27/11 10:51 AM, ext John-David Dalton wrote:
> I've been half following this thread.
> I'm not sure why renaming to XHR is a good idea.
> The DOM spec has levels (Level 2, 3) so I don't see the need to consolidate.
> I like the distinction and it gives devs some marker to follow for
> support in libs/projects.
> If you did drop the XHR levels, which I am not for,

The reality is that we do not have Editor commitments to continue both
XHR(1) and XHR2. Anne agreed to continue XHR2 and he proposed to reuse
the XHR shortname (i.e. .../TR/XMLHttpRequest/) for new publications of
XHR2 and to title it just "XHR". Given these commitments, I think Anne's
proposal is reasonable.

> then a prominent
> comment block should persist explaining it.

If XHR2 will be redirected to XHR, then I agree some text describing the
merging of these two specs would be useful. Anne recently added some
history about the specification of XHR to the XHR2 ED [1] but it doesn't
explicitly include any information about the merge (e.g. the points in [2]).

-AB

[1]
http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/xhr/raw-file/tip/Overview.html#specification-history
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2011OctDec/1132.html