Re: [Component Model] Decorator Challenges

From: Roland Steiner <rolandsteiner@google.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2011 11:40:57 +0900
To: Dimitri Glazkov <dglazkov@chromium.org>
Cc: public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 08:05, Dimitri Glazkov <dglazkov@chromium.org>wrote:

> Even if we attempt to separate the state of a decorator from the
> element and its document using an iframe- or worker-like machinery,
> we’ll still have similar issues of managing decorator instances that
> are no longer relevant, but don’t know that yet -- in addition to the
> performance costs of such high-isolation approach.

I don't quite follow what you mean with the above - could you go into more
detail on this point? E.g., why would it be a problem if a worker-like
decorator that got detached sits around for a little while longer, doing
last timeouts and other stuff that no longer really matters?

(FWIW, I'm also not convinced that it'd have to have high performance
overhead - in the best case it could be as little as just one more level of
indirection.)

Cheers,

- Roland