Re: XPath and find/findAll methods

On 2011-11-24 14:57, Henri Sivonen wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 11:05 PM, Julian Reschke<julian.reschke@gmx.de>  wrote:
>> could you elaborate on what you mean by "no smooth evolutionary path to
>> XPath 2.x"? (Are you referring to specs or to implementations?)
>
> Specs. XPath 2.0 changed XPath in an incompatible way. There's a
> "compatibility mode" for interpreting existing XPath 1.0 queries, but
> it seems like a bad idea to build on a spec whose authors have put
> compatibility into a side mode and what's considered the main thing
> isn't fully compatible with existing queries.

OK,

so this is about <http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath20/#id-backwards-compatibility>.

<http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath20/#id-incompat-in-true-mode> is the list of
changes when XPath2 runs in compat mode, without additional schema
information. That lists really looks harmless to me, many of the points
are about making parsing more strict.

So I believe it would be good if the yet-to-be-written spec would allow
implementations to use an XPath2 engine that runs in compat mode.

Best regards, Julian