Re: Adding methods to Element.prototype WAS: [Selectors API 2] Is matchesSelector stable enough to unprefix in implementations?

On 11/22/11 12:57 PM, Ojan Vafai wrote:
> The fewer properties that are exposed this way, the smaller the quirk
> is.

I think the problem is that from web developers point of view the quirky
behavior is _not_ exposing properties.  Certainly in the short term...

In the long term, since we have to expose all expandos, I suspect that
not exposing properties will continue to be seen as the quirky behavior.

Note, by the way, that having to expose expandos (including expandos on
prototypes) but not new built-in properties might make for some fun
spec-work (e.g., what happens when the standard adds a property but then
some page overrides it on the prototype with a different property
definition: should the page-defined value be exposed?).

Again, some decent data on what pages actually do in on* handlers would
be really good.  I have no idea how to get it.  :(

> I was hoping that we could have a fixed small list of properties
> that the spec says are exposed. Maybe that's too ambitious and doesn't
> actually buy us much though.

Given the expando situation, I'm not sure that approach works at all.  :(

-Boris