[Widgets] WidgetStorage interface

From: Marcos Caceres <marcosscaceres@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2011 18:08:56 +0100
To: public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>
Hi,
As part of LC, I've received quite a bit of offline feedback that because of some issue in Webkit, it's difficult for implementers to reuse the WebStorage interface in a widget context: the problem is that Widget's use of Web storage slightly modifies some of the behaviour of the storage methods (e.g., some things are read only and throw exceptions). The way around this is to define a WidgetStorage interface that allows for the specific behaviour defined in the Widget spec.

Consequently, I want to define this interface WidgetStorage in the spec:

WidgetStorage : Storage{}

And hence:

       readonly attribute Storage   preferences;

Becomes:
    readonly attribute WidgetStorage  preferences;

In practice, the addition of WidgetStorage doesn't actually affect any conforming runtimes (but allows a bunch of new Webkit ones to comply).

Kind regards,
Marcos

--
Marcos Caceres