Re: TAG Comment on

On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 18:30:15 -0500, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net> wrote:

> Yes, if you configure your browser to do so, you'll be assaulted with
> requests for a "test db" from many Web sites that use common frameworks.
>
> I don't think that this should count as "use."
>
> I do think now is precisely the time to be asking this kind of question;
> these features are NOT yet used at *Web* scale -- they're used by people
> willing to live on the bleeding edge, and therefore willing to accept
> risk of change.

A quick search of Google code [1], Github [2][3], and Bitbucket [4][5]
would indicate otherwise, IMO. For example, the TinyMCE WYSIWYG editor
that is included in every Wordpress installation (currently estimated at
65,787,814 sites [6]) uses localStorage for auto-saving blog posts (not
exactly bleeding-edge stuff). TinyMCE also boasts some of the most
successful and popular sites on the web as users [7]. And that's just one
single project from the many thousands of open source projects hosted by
Google Code, Bitbucket or Github.

[1]
http://www.google.com/codesearch#search/&q=%5Blocal%7Csession%5DStorage%20lang:%5Ejavascript$&type=cs
[2]