Re: Firefox bug: "Worker" load ignores Content-Type version parameter

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2011 13:46:16 +0100
To: Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>
CC: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>, www-archive@w3.org, public-Webapps@w3.org, Arthur Barstow <art.barstow@nokia.com>
On 2011-11-18 13:44, Simon Pieters wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Nov 2011 13:22:42 +0100, Julian Reschke
> <julian.reschke@gmx.de> wrote:
>
>> On 2011-11-18 13:03, Simon Pieters wrote:
>>> UTF-8-only for workers is deliberate. I don't see any reason to reject
>>> scripts that have other charset. Rejecting the script would mean that
>>> some authors can't use workers at all because their server uses charset
>>> and they can't change it.
>>
>> What kind of server sets a charset on JS *and* cannot be configured
>> not to?
>
> I don't know. I know we changed appcache to not do MIME type checking of
> the cache manifest because authors had trouble changing it. I know we
> sniff text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1, text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1 and
> text/plain; charset=UTF-8 because it's the default in some servers.
>
>> And, if this is the case, isn't this a good reason to actually require
>> that the charset is handled correctly?
>
> For new features, we try to force UTF-8 (e.g. cache manifest, WebVTT,
> workers).

That's fine if you use a new type, or profile an existing one.

But claiming that charset=... means something else before depending on
the context it's used in is asking for trouble.

>> I really believe that piling up workarounds and inconsistencies like
>> these makes the whole platform much harder to use than necessary.
>
> Just use UTF-8. If you can't use UTF-8 in your workers, use ASCII and
> character escapes. AFAIK there's have been no requests to support legacy
> encodings in workers in Opera.

I'm ok with that. I'm not ok with treating something that has a charset
of ISO-8859-1 silently as UTF-8, in particular when other parts of the
platform disagree.

Best regards, Julian