Re: [DOM4] XML lang

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 16:43:05 +0100
To: "Marcos Caceres" <w3c@marcosc.com>, "Jonas Sicking" <jonas@sicking.cc>
Cc: public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>
On Wed, 05 Oct 2011 23:07:44 +0200, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc> wrote:
> As has been pointed out, you can use
> Element.matchesSelector(":lang('en-us')") or XPath to test if a node
> has a given language. However neither lets you actually *get* the
> language of a node, just check if it matches a particular language.
> Additionally, matchesSelector doesn't work on text nodes.

We already have baseURI. I suppose we could have another such thing.
"lang" is taken unfortunately. "language"? "naturalLang"? (Based on

I do not think its exact behavior should be defined in DOM4, but we can
certainly introduce the concept and say that other specifications define
it. E.g. HTML and XML.

Anne van Kesteren