Re: innerHTML in DocumentFragment

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 07:42:01 -0800
To: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Cc: public-webapps@w3.org
On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 3:17 AM, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 1:11 PM, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc> wrote:
>> Have you ever actually talked to the SVG WG about this specific issue?
>
> Yes, at the time foreign lands were being specced in HTML and the SVG
> WG had to be dragged in kicking and screaming, because they didn't
> want to SVG-in-HTML to be supported at all at first.

The SVGWG's opinion today is the opposite - we'd like SVG and HTML to
live together as nicely as possible.  Getting <style> and <script> to
have identical behaviors is one goal of ours.  We've even seriously
discussed putting SVG2 into the HTML namespace, just to make things
simpler for authors.

>> If not, please stop arguing that the SVG group wants the currently
>> specced behavior.
>
> I'm not arguing what they want it *today*. I'm saying what they wanted
> earlier and why doing something different would be bad.

Keeping SVG harder to use within HTML isn't a very good goal.  We
shouldn't look at parser changes as being "self-sabotage" - that
attitude freezes us into the current parser forever.

~TJ