Re: [DRAFT] Web Intents Task Force Charter

Le jeudi 10 novembre 2011 à 16:27 +0100, Rich Tibbett a écrit :
> Hi
> a.) to register a URL endpoint as an intent provider the user must visit
> a web page (presumably hosted by the target device itself) and capture
> the intent registration from that page before that intent provider can
> be used within the UA.

My understanding is that this is not a MUST at all, but the way
Web-based services can be added by a user.

For a local network approach, my take would be that the browser would be
doing the discovery, and possibly offer the user to add local services
to the list of available providers when such a service matches the
requested intent.

Typically, a "gallery" intent (i.e. requesting a list of medial files)
would make the browser list local media galleries (from UPnP) in
addition to the registered Web services (e.g. your on-line photo
albums).

> b.) to then subsequently use a registered intent provider the concept is
> to open that provider, again as a web page in a seperate tab within the
> UA. From here we can then establish a bi-directional web messaging
> channel on which we can send and receive messages to communicate to and
> from that web page that is representing the current local service.

I think the Web-page-in-a-separate tab is also an optional aspect of Web
intents; the browser could serve as a broker between the local-network
service and the Web page.

> Perhaps someone could take the time to describe exactly how a user could
> communicate with an existing TV device in their home from a web browser
> supporting web intents based on the above requirements?

Here is a rough sketch:
* user hits a Web page that wants to load a picture from his gallery
* that Web page asks for an intent for media gallery
* the browser shows to the user the list of services that can provide
media galleries; having detected that there are such services on the
local network, it includes these services in the list
* the user wants to pick a picture from the gallery hosted on his TV, so
picks the TV set in the list of services
* from then on, the browser turns the messages sent by the Web page via
postMessage() into UPnP requests that the TV set can respond to, and
also turns the responses into messages that the Web page can deal with.

Dom