Re: [selectors-api] Return an Array instead of a static NodeList

From: Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 11:17:53 -0700
To: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
CC: Aryeh Gregor <ayg@aryeh.name>, Julien Richard-Foy <julien@richard-foy.fr>, public-webapps@w3.org
On 30/08/11 4:19 PM, Jonas Sicking wrote:
> Indeed! I think it's already been decided that all non-mutating
> functions should be added to NodeLists and other list-like DOM
> objects. I believe Cameron is still working on the specifics of that.

Shortly before the LC#2 was published, I added an [ArrayClass] extended
attribute that you can put on interfaces that are not defined to inherit
from another.  That causes that interface's [[Prototype]] to be
Array.prototype instead of Object.prototype.  It's then up to the
designer of the interface to ensure that length and array index
properties behave usefully (by defining a length IDL attribute and using
indexed properties) so that the Array.prototype methods will do nice things.

The other construct that uses Array.prototype is platform array objects.
  They too have Array.prototype as their [[Prototype]].  Web IDL defines
how array index properties and length are exposed on platform array
objects so that they work with Array.prototype methods as best they can.