Re: before/after editaction

From: Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa@webkit.org>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2011 13:06:49 -0700
To: Ojan Vafai <ojan@chromium.org>
Cc: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>, Darin Adler <darin@apple.com>, public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>
On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 7:20 PM, Ojan Vafai <ojan@chromium.org> wrote:

> Overall I really like the proposal (both having the events and Jonas's
> addition to include them in the undo transaction). We'd fire the
> afterEditAction exactly everywhere we currently fire the input event though.
> Instead of adding two new events, could we instead add a beforeInput event
> as the beforeEditAction. Then add to both beforeInput and input an "action"
> property that is the edit action that was taken.*

Yeah that'll be clean and neat way to support this. We probably need to add
two properties though because some execCommand takes string value.

The only downside I see to reusing input is that it might complicate Jonas's
> suggestion to include edits during the afterEditAction in the undo
> transaction. Although, my intuition is that there is *not* web content that
> depends on script executed during the input event not entering the undo
> stack.

Right. I think we probably need to avoid firing them inside a transaction
to maintain the backward compatibility.

- Ryosuke