From: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 23:41:11 -0700
To: Sean Hogan <shogun70@westnet.com.au>
Cc: Alex Russell <slightlyoff@google.com>, Webapps WG <public-webapps@w3.org>, Yehuda Katz <wycats@gmail.com>, John Resig <jeresig@gmail.com>, Paul Irish <paulirish@google.com>, Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 11:14 PM, Sean Hogan <shogun70@westnet.com.au> wrote:
>> I do however like the idea that if :scope appears in the selector,
>> then this removes the prepending of ":scope " to that selector group.
>> Is there a reason not to do that?
>
> 1. Already supported (in the draft spec) by querySelectorAll().
> 2. Not supported by JS libs.
> 3. No use cases requiring it.

It's annoying if querying engines have to work with two different
query methods (.findAll and .querySelectorAll) and know when to call
which. So I don't think 1 is a particularly good point.

However 3 is a very good point. If there aren't use cases, then we
shouldn't support it. And 2 is a good indicator that there aren't use
cases.

But if someone knows of use cases then I'm all ears.

It's also something that can be added at a later point if use cases arise.

/ Jonas