From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 22:31:10 -0400
To: public-webapps@w3.org
On 10/19/11 10:07 PM, Jonas Sicking wrote:
> I like the general idea here. And since we're changing behavior, I
> think it's a good opportunity to come up with shorter names. Naming is
> really hard. The shorter names we use, the more likely it is that
> we're going to break webpages which are messing around with the
> prototype chain

Not just the proto chain.  Every method you add on Element or Document
will break any inline event handler attributes that happen to use that
name as a bareword.  We had some amount of that with the "list" property
on inputs, and that only added a property on HTMLInputElement....

Again, in this case a shorter name may make sense, but in general there
are good reasons for not using short names all the time.

-Boris