From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 17:04:29 -0400
To: Brian Kardell <bkardell@gmail.com>
CC: public-webapps@w3.org
On 10/18/11 5:01 PM, Brian Kardell wrote:
> This too has come up in some discussions on CSS (CSSOM I think) that I
> have had.  In the right context - I don't think it would actually be
> that hard.  It would require a way to provide a sand-boxed evaluation
> (read only elements)

This is not that easy.  Especially because you can reach all DOM objects
from elements, so you have to lock down the entire API somehow.

> and a pattern much like jquery's where it is a
> filter which can only return true or false.  True enough that it would
> be slower than native for a few reasons - but perhaps still useful.

The slowness comes from not having a way to tell whether the world has
changed under you or not and therefore having to assume that it has, not
from the actual call into JS per se.