Disabling non-collapsed selection

From: Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa@webkit.org>
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2011 10:51:30 -0700
To: public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>
Cc: Ehsan Akhgari <ehsan@mozilla.com>, Aryeh Gregor <ayg@aryeh.name>
Hi all,

Is there an interest in providing a way to prevent non-collapsed selection
under some node in a document? And if there is, what are use cases?

Authors periodically file a WebKit bug against our implementation of
selectstart event that they can't use it to disable selection. WebKit
supports "-webkit-user-select: none" to do this but some authors apparently
want to allow collapsed selection.

I personally don't quite understand why authors ever want to do this but I'm
not totally against the idea of providing new mechanism for this if there
are good use cases.

Best,
Ryosuke Niwa
Software Engineer