Re: Mutation Observers: a replacement for DOM Mutation Events

On 13/10/11 4:50 AM, Rafael Weinstein wrote:
> Hi Sean,
>
> I find it hard to reason about cases in the abstract. None of the
> examples you list seem concerning to me (i.e. I believe they can be
> properly handled), but perhaps it's a failure of my imagination.

I didn't say they can't be properly handled. I said that the proposal by
itself doesn't properly handle them, and I suggested a similar but
simpler solution that also doesn't properly handle them by itself.

Another way of phrasing this deficiency is that the proposal provides a
way to signal interest in mutations in regions of a page, but doesn't
provide a way to ignore mutations within those regions. So the libs
using this API may have to provide their own mechanism for this.

> Maybe you can provide concrete examples (i.e. with code snippets,
> actual instances of use cases, etc...)

Actually, it is the proponents of changing the status-quo and of the
more complex solution who bear more responsibility for providing these.
But if it helps, here's a specific example:

MathJax (http://mathjax.org) is a js lib for rendering math in
web-pages. One feature it provides is converting LaTeX into (typically)
a HTML representation of the math. It is desirable for the LaTeX source
to remain available in the document, and MathJax stores it as the
content of a <script type="math/tex"> element. MathJax provides an API
for changing the LaTeX source and thus the rendered output.

It might be desirable if MathJax could update the rendering
automatically in response to changes in the script content. Mutation
events would be necessary for this. But what is the appropriate way to
signal to other consumers of mutation events that the math rendering
changes are to be ignored?