Re: Behavior Attachment Redux, was Re: HTML element content models vs. components

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 16:43:29 +0000 (UTC)
To: Roland Steiner <rolandsteiner@google.com>
cc: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>, public-webapps@w3.org, Dominic Cooney <dominicc@google.com>, Brian Kardell <bkardell@gmail.com>, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, Edward O'Connor <eoconnor@apple.com>
On Tue, 11 Oct 2011, Roland Steiner wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 04:58, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 4 Oct 2011, Roland Steiner wrote:
> > > On a second note, what you essentially seem to demand is swapping
> > > out entire HTML sub-branches based on presentation.
> >
> > It's not how I would describe it (I wouldn't expect the shadow trees
> > to be written using HTML), but to a first approximation, sure.
>
> Intriguing - could you elaborate on the above? Do you mean shadow trees
> should not use HTML, but something different? (If so, what instead? pure
> JS?) Or do you mean shadow trees should not be defined in the HTML of
> the main DOM and then swapped into the shadow trees? If the latter, I
> fully agree.

Shadow trees tend to just be a bunch of semantic-free elements (like
XBL2 we actually had an XBL-namespace <div> so you wouldn't have to use
the HTML namespace <div>. It's not an important difference.