Re: Question about implementing DataTransfer.addElement

On Mon, 10 Oct 2011, Daniel Cheng wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 15:26, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:
> >
> > The parenthetical isn't the important part (that's why it's
> > parenthetical). The important difference between setDragImage() and
> > addElement() is that the latter automatically generates the image
> > based on the current rendering of the elements added whereas the
> > former uses the exact specified image. So for example if the user is
> > dragging an element with some complicated CSS styles, that's what gets
> > drawn with addElement(), whereas the author has no sane way of
> > providing an image that contains equivalent pixels.
>
> It seems like setDragImage() does that as well:
>
> > If the element argument is an img element, then set the drag data
> > store bitmap to the element's image (at its intrinsic size);
> > otherwise, set the drag data store bitmap to an image generated from
> > the given element (the exact mechanism for doing so is not currently
> > specified).
>
> Doesn't the otherwise clause describe exactly what addElement() does?

Ah, indeed. I forgot about that.

I guess the difference then is just that addElement() lets you add
multiple elements, but that's not a particularly great difference. If
nobody implements it, or if people who implement it don't mind dropping
it, we can drop it from the spec entirely.