Re: Question about implementing DataTransfer.addElement

From: James Robinson <jamesr@google.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2011 15:01:55 -0700
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Cc: Daniel Cheng <dcheng@chromium.org>, public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>
On Fri, Oct 7, 2011 at 2:56 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 7, 2011 at 2:45 PM, Daniel Cheng <dcheng@chromium.org> wrote:
> > For technical reasons, animating the drag image is non-trivial and not
> > likely to be implemented in the near future, if it is ever implemented.
>
> I would think that it's basically identical, technically, to
> implementing the element() function from CSS Image Values, which I
> believe we're planning to do.

Not quite.  With the element() function the 'live copy' still lives in the
page and renders the same way everything else does.  My understanding (and
Daniel can correct me if I'm wrong) is that drag images do not render the
same way due to platform integration concerns and so the technical cost for
the two is fairly different.

- James