Re: [XHR2] responseText for text/html before the encoding has stabilized

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2011 09:08:37 +0200
To: "Jonas Sicking" <jonas@sicking.cc>
Cc: public-webapps@w3.org, "Henri Sivonen" <hsivonen@iki.fi>
On Sat, 01 Oct 2011 22:09:47 +0200, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc> wrote:
>> If we change how determining encoding works between default, "text", and
>> "document", we should really start throwing for responseText and
>> responseXML when responseType is not the default to indicate that is
>> different.
>
> Why? What problem are you trying to solve?

I think it would be confusing for responseText to give different results
for "" and "text". The whole point was that since it behaved the same it
did not matter. If we make it behave differently, that invariant is gone,
and it seems better to not expose it at all.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/