Re: [XHR2] responseText for text/html before the encoding has stabilized

On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 20:05:41 +0200, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:
> I agree that the reloading alternative is even worse. What about just
> relying on the Content-Type charset="" and defaulting to UTF-8 if it
> isn't there, and not doing any in-page stuff?

That would work for me. It seems Jonas is somewhat more concerned about
legacy content not working well in that case, but the world is moving fast
to UTF-8. (I think we should observe the BOM by the way as XMLHttpRequest
already does.)

> How is the encoding determined for, e.g., text/plain or text/css files
> brought down through XHR and viewed through responseText?

Like the above.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/