Re: RfC: Last Call Working Draft of Web IDL; deadline October 18

From: Alex Russell <slightlyoff@google.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2011 19:47:54 -0700
To: public-script-coord <public-script-coord@w3.org>
Cc: public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>, Brendan Eich <brendan@mozilla.com>, Cameron McCormack <cmccormack@mozilla.com>
I would, again, like to bring up the issue of non-constructable
constructors as the default in WebIDL. It is onerous to down-stream
authors to leave such a foot-gun in the spec if they're *expected* to
provide constructors for most classes (and this is JS we're talking
about, so they are) and it is hostile to web developers to implicitly
encourage this sort of brokenness with regards to the target language.

None of the arguments presented for non-constructable-ctors as the
default have substantively addressed WebIDL's responsibility to either
JS or to other spec authors, instead fobbing the requirements back
onto them.

Regards