Re: Web Components use cases, was Re: Notes from a component model pow-wow

From: Roland Steiner <rolandsteiner@google.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2011 14:26:09 +0900
To: Charles Pritchard <chuck@jumis.com>
Cc: Dominic Cooney <dominicc@chromium.org>, WebApps WG <public-webapps@w3.org>, Dimitri Glazkov <dglazkov@chromium.org>, Sam Weinig <weinig@apple.com>, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>, David Hyatt <hyatt@apple.com>, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>, James Robinson <jamesr@chromium.org>, Alex Russell <slightlyoff@google.com>, peterv@propagandism.org
On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 1:58 AM, Charles Pritchard <chuck@jumis.com> wrote:

> [...]

We have an opportunity now to document the sub-elements of single form
> controls.

That is certainly a very valid goal. For example, it would really be great
if an author could create his/her own video element and be able to re-use
parts of the built-in <video> controls. One way could be to assemble larger
components from smaller ones, and make those accessible to derived
components.

However, getting all vendors to agree on a unified set of controls and
layouts for the various form and media elements will certainly take time,
and IMHO is only possible when the need for such arises.

Until we can express what existing form controls do, I see no compelling
> case to leap forward and try to express new components.

This I don't agree with. Authors currently can and do use various frameworks
to create what are essentially components, e.g., layout managers - undaunted
by the fact that the internal structure of, say, <input> isn't specced out.

It does seem plausible that these selectors, in context, can unify CSS
> Element names and DOM Element ids.

I think that will be possible only in the simplest of cases. For more
complex components I don't think there necessarily will be a 1:1 mapping of
a pseudo-element name to an actual element.

Cheers,

- Roland