Re: [XHR2] Avoiding charset dependencies on user settings

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2011 11:26:07 +0300
To: public-webapps@w3.org
On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 9:54 PM, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc> wrote:
> I agree that there are no legacy requirements on XHR here, however I
> don't think that that is the only thing that we should look at. We
> should also look at what makes the feature the most useful. A extreme
> counter-example would be that we could let XHR refuse to parse any
> HTML page that didn't pass a validator. While this wouldn't break any
> existing content, it would make HTML-in-XHR significantly less useful.

Applying all the legacy text/html craziness to XHR could break current
use of XHR to retrieve responseText of text/html resources (assuming
that we want responseText for text/html work like responseText for XML
in the sense that the same character encoding is used for responseText
and responseXML).

Applying all the legacy text/html craziness to XHR would make data
the browser localization and user settings. At least when loading into
a browsing context, there's visual feedback of character misdecoding
and the feedback can be attributed back to a given file. If
setting-dependent misdecoding happens in the XHR data loading
machinery of an app, it's much harder to figure out what part of the
system the problem should be attributed to.

Henri Sivonen