Re: [editing] Using public-webapps for editing discussion

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 11:20:50 -0700
To: Charles Pritchard <chuck@jumis.com>
Cc: Aryeh Gregor <ayg@aryeh.name>, Arthur Barstow <art.barstow@nokia.com>, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, Paul Cotton <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>, Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa@webkit.org>, Ehsan Akhgari <ehsan@mozilla.com>, Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com>, W3C WebApps WG <public-webapps@w3.org>
On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 10:44 AM, Charles Pritchard <chuck@jumis.com> wrote:
> Yes, you have a public domain document, and yes, you're likely in the same
> boat as Tab Atkins:
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2011JulSep/1265.html
> "The editor is the *lowest* level in the hierarchy of constituencies"
>
> The "vendor" implementation is the highest level... Your company has the
> full vertical.

Incorrect.  Browsers are below authors, who are below users.  The full
hierarchy of constituencies that I and several others subscribe to is:

1. Users
2. Authors
3. Implementors
4. Spec Authors / Theoretical Purity (these two levels are close
enough that they're not really useful to distinguish, I think)

> They use that position to knock-down use cases. When a use case serves
> Google Docs, or Gmail, it's heard. When it does not, it's shuttered.

That's quite a forceful statement.  It's also completely untrue.  For
example, I have never talked to the Gmail team about my work.  I've
talked to Docs, but only about CSSOM measurement APIs because it's
hard to gather concrete use-cases for some of these things even though
they're obviously useful.

I would appreciate not being publicly slandered in the future.

~TJ