Re: Widgets & ApplicationCache (was: Standards for Web applications on mobile devices: August 2011 updates)

From: Scott Wilson <scott.bradley.wilson@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 17:28:58 +0100
Cc: Marcos Caceres <marcosscaceres@gmail.com>, public-webapps@w3.org
To: Dominique Hazael-Massieux <dom@w3.org>

On 16 Sep 2011, at 13:55, Dominique Hazael-Massieux wrote:

>> IMO, keeping them together will lead to confusion. The use cases are
>> different: a widget can embed content that uses ApplicationCache, as
>> well as load in proprietary APIs (e.g., WAC).
>
> Surely a Web-applicationcached app could also load proprietary APIs. And
> an application cache could also have a widget as part of its list of
> cacheable resources.
>
>> It can be used for defining other classes of applications and formats
>> (e.g., Opera Extensions).
>
> I can also imagine using ApplicationCache to do that.

I can imagine using all kinds of other things to do that.

The point is, I don't want to, I want to use one standard way to do it along with all other companies in the space so we have a market, not a whole bunch of non-interoperating silos, and have a consistent message for users.

I don't really understand what the point is of putting these things together. Other than to annoy Marcos of course :)