Re: [DOM4] Remove Node.isSameNode

From: Sean Hogan <shogun70@westnet.com.au>
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2011 11:38:35 +1000
To: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
CC: Webapps WG <public-webapps@w3.org>
On 10/09/11 11:00 AM, Jonas Sicking wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 2:27 PM, Sean Hogan<shogun70@westnet.com.au>  wrote:
>> On 10/09/11 3:21 AM, Jonas Sicking wrote:
>>> It's a completely useless function. It just implements the equality
>>> operator. I believe most languages have a equality operator already.
>>> Except Brainfuck [1]. But the DOM isn't implementable in Brainfuck
>>> anyway as it doesn't have objects, so I'm ok with that.
>>>
>>> [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brainfuck
>> If a DOM implementation returns  node-wrappers instead of exposing the
>> actual nodes then you could end up with different node-refs for the same
>> node. I'm not sure whether that violates other requirements of the spec.
> I would expect that to violate the DOM spec. I.e. I would say that if
> an implementation returned true for
>
> someNode.firstChild != someNode.firstChild
>
> then I would say that that that shouldn't be allowed by the DOM.
>
> / Jonas

The other scenario I can think of is casting. What if I want an object
that only implements the Element interface of an element, even if it is
a HTMLInputElement? The two objects will not be equal, but will
represent the same node. I imagine that was the motivation for initially
including the method.

Having said that, if no-one is using it then it is completely useless.

Sean