Re: [DOM] Name

On 9/5/11 2:38 PM, Adam Barth wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 2:33 PM, Charles Pritchard<chuck@jumis.com>  wrote:

>>> WebCore is one of the major implementation components of WebKit.
>>> Calling this spec Web Core might be confusing for folks who work on
>>> WebKit.  It would be somewhat like calling a spec Presto.  :)
>>>
>> Or calling a browser "Chrome".
>>
> :)
>

>> Web Core does implement web core, doesn't it?
>>
> Yes, but it also implements HTML5, which isn't part of Web Core.

HTML5 includes DOMCore in its dependencies.
http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/infrastructure.html#dependencies

 From the DOMCore goals: "moving features from HTML5 that ought to be
part of the DOM platform here, while preventing a dependency on HTML5".

DOMCore specifies the EventTarget, from which Node, Element and Document
inherit, as well as the Event class, from which even non-node classes,
such as web messaging, inherit. And the DOMException enumeration.

The web core sub-directory contains modules (such as workers) which
include DOMCore as the root of their dependency chain. The naming seems
appropriate to me.

All that said, I'll re-assert: I'm fine with Anne taking the name of
DOMCore in the direction of his choosing. I still believe that "Web
Core" as a name and semantic has more utility than "DOM4", both in the
authoring of specifications and the implementation of various specs
which build upon EventTarget and/or Event as their root interface.

-Charles