Re: [DOM] Name

From: Charles Pritchard <chuck@jumis.com>
Date: Sun, 04 Sep 2011 14:08:25 -0700
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
CC: public-webapps <public-webapps@w3.org>, Adrian Bateman <adrianba@microsoft.com>, Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org>, Jacob Rossi <jrossi@microsoft.com>, Arthur Barstow <art.barstow@nokia.com>
> On Sun, 04 Sep 2011 15:12:45 +0200, Arthur Barstow
> <art.barstow@nokia.com> wrote:
>> The CfC to publish a new WD of DOM Core was blocked by this RfC. I
>> will proceed with a  request to publish a new WD of DOM Core in TR/.
>> The name DOM Core will be used for the upcoming WD. If anyone wants
>> to propose a name change, please start a *new* thread.
>
> Given that the specification replaces most of DOM2 and DOM3 I suggest
> we name it DOM4, including for the upcoming WD (or alternatively a WD
> we publish a couple of weeks later).

I propose calling it "Web Core".
WC1 (Web Core version 1).

The "Web" semantic is popular, easy.

The w3c lists are heavy with the "web" semantic: web apps, web
components, web events.
The primary dependency for DOMCore is named Web IDL.

It'd give DOM3 some breathing room, to go down its own track.

I'd much prefer to go around referring to Web IDL and Web Core.

-Charles